Cold Water | Letters | Chicago Reader

Cold Water 

Sign up for our newsletters Subscribe

kapson.qxd

Kim Phillips-Fein's article ("The View From the Booth," May 15) correctly states the dangers of silver nitrate film. It was quite flammable, caused numerous fires, and led to fairly stringent building code rules regarding the construction of projection booths. However, it was not the cause of the 1903 Iroquois Theatre disaster.

The Iroquois, which had opened little more than a month before the fire, was a theater for theatrical productions--not motion pictures. There probably wasn't as much as a single frame of silver nitrate film on the premises. The cause of the fire was determined to have been a spark from a defective spotlight, which ended up setting a curtain on fire.

Ken Kapson

W. George

Kim Phillips-Fein replies:

Thanks for setting us straight.

Comments

Subscribe to this thread:

Add a comment

Agenda Teaser

Performing Arts
Bernhardt/Hamlet Goodman Theatre
September 14
Music
October 16

Tabbed Event Search

Popular Stories