Styling lady parts | Bleader

Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Styling lady parts

Posted By on 02.29.12 at 01:25 PM

Sign up for our newsletters Subscribe

Debate raged hot this morning at the Chicago Reader copy desk as we tried to figure out the proper way to style that most euphemistic of all vagina euphemisms, “lady( )parts.” Should we leave it open, just like that, or close it up, as Rick Santorum supporter Foster Friess prefers? (Rimshot!) It’s not in Merriam-Webster. The Chicago Manual Style Q&A, which often helps us work out the finer points, was silent (and I’m too embarrassed to query Q&A maven Carol Fisher Saller on the topic). Googling “lady parts one word or two” wasn’t helpful, but you don't need to be told that. So I took a survey of some prominent publications to see how they handled it. Results after the jump. We're open to suggestion, too.

Two words:

New York Times (“From his perspective they look like a view of, er, splayed lady parts: ({}).”)

Times of London (“‘Clunge’ is the boys’ word for lady parts and, unsurprisingly, romance is slow in coming.”)


2011-era Chicago Reader (“Best place to get your lady parts vacation-ready without waxing your wallet”)

One word:

New York magazine/Grub Street (“When’s the last time you had some, er, ladyparts serve you ice cream?”)

Jezebel (“Rapidly Expanding Religious Hospitals Are Trying to Govern Ladyparts”)

Gawker (“Jennifer Aniston Gives Letterman a Ladyparts-Covering Present”)

Inconclusive/no results:

New Yorker

New York Review of Books

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Comments (3)

Showing 1-3 of 3

Add a comment

Subscribe to this thread:
Showing 1-3 of 3

Add a comment

More by Sam Worley

Tabbed Event Search

The Bleader Archive

Popular Stories